Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Potpourri

  • The diet hit a plateau. I'm down by 43 lbs from when I started, but in the last 30 days it's only changed by .5 lb. Looking at the chart from a year ago, I think I see a pattern. It was going down very slowly in May/June 2007, too. Looks like maybe 3 lbs in 60 days.

    There's probably two things going on. First, every year I imagine early summer weight loss should be easy. "Winter hibernation pounds just melt away naturally!" Second, a lot of good, fresh food shows up at the store.


  • I used to listen to Pandora at work. The advertised feature, discovery and laser(ish) targetting of your tastes, worked great. The problem was that the selection wasn't so great. I was down to about 30 songs that they just endlessly looped for me. Then I switched to Last.fm. The targetting isn't very good, but the selection is pretty huge. Exhibit A probably says more about how out of the loop I am for just now finding this, but still: Pretty hilarious (Lyrics)

  • And speaking of nerds: Do you like math? Do you also like mechanical devices? Then you will probably love How Round Is Your Circle. It's filled with mechanical ways to make, or approximate, mathematical functions, such as for linkages. The main problem with the book is that it's too short. It should really be a set of volumes so he can better explain each item. (Video teasers).

  • I have dismantled and cannibalized the Squeezer for a much simpler version of a parabolic trough now in production. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name's Allan. I'm gonna ask a strange question. Are you an aspie? My AS radar spiked when I read a comment of yours on Mefi and glanced at some of your interesting posts. Send me an email if you can. Thanks.

    shakeseliot@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete